Featured General Ghosts

Why we don’t “cross things over”

December 10, 2016

Every day after Kindred Spirits airs, I get the same message over and over again – some truly inquisitive – others indignant and frustrated, “WHY DIDN’T YOU CROSS THAT SPIRIT OVER?”

It’s a legitimate and understandable question. For years, we have been told by psychics, mediums, paranormal investigators and researchers that ghosts are somehow stuck here, that they need to be led to the light in some way. It’s a theory many subscribe too, but it is just that – a theory. Honestly, the entire paranormal field is nothing other than theory and speculation, but that’s a blog for another day. 😉

I first noticed it years ago on an investigation in Gettysburg. I had been told that a local home had been “cleansed” and the spirits had been crossed over. Yet, when I investigated the home, the ghosts who were supposedly long gone, were still very much there and they very much wanted to communicate. This happened time and time again. We’d be called into a house by desperate family members who had psychics, paranormal teams, etc come in and supposedly send these ghosts packing, but the activity continued and in some cases, increased.

For those of you who subscribe to this theory, please consider this for a moment. What if ghosts aren’t in fact trapped or stuck, but are here for a reason. Perhaps they weren’t ready to leave and they want to tie up some loose ends before they head off to where ever they go. Even if crossing things over did work, wouldn’t it be doing them a disservice to dismiss them without hearing what they have to say?

This is where our cases on Kindred Spirits come in. We wanted to showcase the fact that instead of sending out some intentions and telling a spirit it was ok to move on – that if you intensively and actively try to figure out WHY they are there and communicate it or provide a solution, the activity sometimes slows way down or ceases completely.

Is this set in stone? No. Nothing in this field is. But it’s something we’ve been trying for quite awhile now, and it appears to be working. In your world, feel free to conduct your investigations however you wish. But in our work, we will continue to research, feature intense investigations and try to give these families, and their ghosts, some closure.

Enjoy your holidays everyone! And thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support and love you’ve shown Kindred Spirits. The show has been a great success for TLC and we couldn’t be prouder of the work we’re doing. See you all soon!

xoxo,

~ a

• Reply Lynn Kapica December 10, 2016 at 10:37 am

Regarding the subject of helping spirits cross over.This has been a mental struggle with me for a long time spirits were once people,Some may need to cross over, While some have a purpose and stay.Case in point the Hollywood sign haunting which i believe is a residual haunting depicts the same action over and over.maybe that spirit needs to be crossed over.Another case which has always kinda bugged me.The Ghost of flight 401. This ghost or ghosts was warning plane passengers against other plane crashes happening,In fact there were so many sightings , Due to the fact that parts from the plane that crashed in the Florida everglades,were savaged and used on other planes also reported sightings, these sprits had a purpose and maybe should not have crossed over.

• Reply Macquel Cox December 10, 2016 at 10:40 am

Thank you for posting this. You once again prove that you are an extremely articulate woman with an abundance of class. I love the new show and I can’t wait to see more. All the best and merriest Christmas and New Year to you and yours!

• Reply Shari Sacolick December 10, 2016 at 11:13 am

Not all spirits are earthbound and stuck….many have crossed over and come back for many reason…..even when I do a crossing over…there will always be more earthbound spirits to follow……and I have seen many spirits who have already cross over and will still come back to acknowledge any wrong doing….also…even if a crossing over was done…does not mean all earthbound spirits will go….each have a story to tell and want to be heard first…….Amy and Adam….you both do such a great job giving a voice to these spirits….what people do not always realize…once the story is told….some move on themselves…….some may need a little more encouragement ..and some have already crossed prior to anyone sensitive being there……

• Reply Faith Beatty December 10, 2016 at 11:19 am

Very interesting! Thanks for your insig g t!

• Reply Natalie A Breton December 10, 2016 at 11:28 am

I agree with your outlook. If you’re helping them to communicate a message which has kept them here – indirectly, you may be helping them to move on – if they desire!

Any word on another season? And any future “Strange Escapes” coming to Florida? 🙂

Happy holidays to you as well!

-Natalie

• Reply Bret Frymier December 10, 2016 at 12:16 pm

You are right, as usual. I love the way you guys help families and not interfering with those in the spirit world. Your right when you said they sometimes don’t know how to communicate. We aren’t charged with sending anyone anywhere. We don’t know or understand the afterlife. Communicating is the best we can do. Thank you and Adam for helping families and those in the spirit world. Keep up the great work. God bless and Merey Christmas to your and Adams families.

• Reply Deb December 10, 2016 at 2:21 pm

LOVE the new show from you both. You work so well together. It is great to see you back on TV. I watch every week. The most intelligent paranormal show on today.

• Reply Cindy December 10, 2016 at 2:35 pm

That was just what I wanted to know. I believe the same. Thanks for the great show! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• Reply Shawn Sullivan December 10, 2016 at 4:19 pm

My wife is a medium in Canada . Spirits are always around us and give messages. We often mistake these messages as hauntings. When we are open enough to see a medium and get these messages from spirit it help us to heal and also lets us know that our loved ones are still around.

• Reply Richard Anderson December 10, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Another aspect on the over-all “theory” is that the ghost hunters are just as “lost” as the spirits they’re investigating. I’m reminded of an EVP on Paranormal Lockdown: “There is no heaven”. There may be a lesson in that EVP: If at our core humans are spirits, we don’t GO to heaven, we GROW to heaven.

• Reply Cyndi gokey December 10, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Maybe they are just able to exist between worlds. My house is old and we have always had experienced paranormal activity. But since I lost my mother in 2002, a brother in 2006 and my sister in 2011 we’ve had quite a bit more activity. I do believe they are my family members. I think they check on us often but I think they exist in heaven also…

• Reply Barbara December 10, 2016 at 8:39 pm

An Empath myself, I know spirits often come and go too. They have crossed over they just want to visit and be heard or send love.

However evil entities do need to be sent packing. But the rest, Amy is 100% on point. These spirits were people like us once. How’d you like someone trying to toss you out of someplace you want to be?

• Reply Cindy December 10, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Thanks for your input about to move or not to move spirits to the light. Father Bob Bailey who has worked on Paranormal State along with Chip Coffey said that all souls need to go to the “light”. I agree that if they have unfinished business that they should be allowed to tell their story, so they can move on.

• Reply J. G. Bedard December 11, 2016 at 4:06 am

There is no “crossing over”. That is a belief based upon religious teachings. Take the religion out of the equation. Everyone who has lived is still “here” in some spiritual form. Spirits are a form of energy – light. Light with a conciousness in a universe that is based upon quantum physics and quantum mechanics as well as string theory. There is a state of higher conciousness but, Amy, nor anyone else can “cross” a spirit over. Unfortunately, the only way for anyone to have proof is to live a full life and then… everyone finds out the truth. If anyone does meet Jesus, say “Hello” for me. There is something that we should all call God, but it is not exactly the biblical definition of God. Quantum physics and mechanics was not necessarily understood 2000, or 3000 years ago… but at least the “Let there be light” from Genesis is accurate. Light is the basics of everything and if anyone does any sort of paranormal investigation or has any psychic insight… it all starts to become very clear that spirits are a concious form of energy that have learned to control various forms of energy – including dreams. The reality is that there is a shared consciousness that we all live in with spirits. If you disagree, educate yourself, read up on what Quantum physics and mechanics entails, then as you begin to understand that everything that we know of… 4% of the Universe… only 4%… is made up of physical properties of light. This includes our “spirit”. Concious control of light and if still have any doubts… when you dream… isn’t that just a minfestation of exactly that. A mental image – that has color (light interactions on a concious level we have yet to understand how or why). If it were possible to “cross over”, you would be able to do so while you were still alive… the body wouldn’t hold back the conciousness. But this does not happen. Sooo… anything beyond understanding that aspect – so far… is just wishful thinking.

• Reply Susan December 11, 2016 at 9:44 am

I must agree with everyone here; this is the BEST paranormal investigation show now! You and Adam are amazing. I love how thoughtful and open-minded you both are and look at many possibilities.

I grew up in a house where ghosts were mostly heard but on occasion seen. My Mother had one instance where she came downstairs in the dark. She headed to the kitchen for a cup of tea. She’d just broken her ankle so she was being slow and careful as the cast was unwieldy. She walked back to the living room and sat on the sofa. As she looked toward the fireplace a man was sitting on one of the chairs by the fireplace. She described him as elderly wearing pajamas, a silk robe, and leather slippers. At first, she thought someone had broken in but soon realized he was a ghost. He never looked directly at her but she was truly scared. She quietly pulled back the drapes and as dawn broke he just faded away.
    Several months later she was speaking with a realtor and found out the what she described fit the description of the gentleman who had the house built. No, he didn’t die in the house but obviously loved it very much. He had lived in another house at the time of his death. It seems to me that often LOVE may be the reason spirits decide to linger.
    Keep up your great work. You are very much appreciated.

• Reply Meg Morrill December 11, 2016 at 10:07 am

The father of my youngest two (step) kids killed himself. He took up residence in one of our closets. It would open on it’s own in the middle of the night, we’d see a dark shadow figure, among other things. I used to wonder why he was there, and why he couldn’t move on. Was it because of the suicide? Was he attached to the kids? I had recently started a type of home dialysis called peritoneal dialysis. One day, while performing my dialysis, I became severely ill very quickly. I had called my husband to come home from work, but my nurse told me to call an ambulance. My front door was locked and I was in my basement. 911 hung up on me. I began to vomit, the room was spinning and I literally couldn’t see. I was afraid I was going to pass out and die before anyone got to me. Each time I felt like I was going to pass out, I heard footsteps upstairs that sounded like they were coming from the front door, so I thought someone was there. I’d yell “hello? I’m down here!” Nobody would come. I’d get worse again. Feel like I was about to pass out. Then footsteps. I’d snap out of it just long enough to yell. This happened maybe 7 or 8 times before my husband and the paramedics arrived at the same time. I was in the hospital for 5 days. When I got home, he was gone. No more shadows, no more closet door opening, a different, lighter feeling in our home. I’m certain he saved my life that day. I know he still visits his kids. But he’s not here (we moved, anyway) in the same way he used to be. I’m grateful that he was there that day. Walking around and keeping me conscious.

• Reply Richard Anderson December 12, 2016 at 4:06 pm

While we are focusing on looking for evidence of existence beyond the physical (EVPs, detection of changes in the local EMF, light anomalies, etc), I think it’s wise to keep our minds open to the possibility of an even higher realm of existence. That might be the realm of the PERCEIVER, which in the perceiving creates the physical effects this group is looking for. “You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High”.