Fitness Lifestyle The Kiddo

I workout in my pajamas.

February 2, 2016

I’m not a gym junkie. As a matter of fact, I’ll pretty much do anything to avoid the gym. Not because I don’t love working out. But despite what every gym goer will try to convince me, it’s such a time suck for me. I have to get dressed, get my kiddo dressed, pack us both snacks and water, get there, drop her in the kids area, pray she doesn’t cry when I do so, then go work out, pick her up, get home, shower, get ready…etc etc etc. So, despite my gym membership that I pay $30 a month for, I can honestly say, I haven’t set foot in that place in six months. (Don’t judge me!)

However, I do manage to work out at the very least, three times a week. Usually more like five. I try to make it a point to get at least a half hour of cardio in every morning, then in the afternoon I usually do some sort of stretching or strength training, (try the 7 minute work out.)

You know what finally got me over this fitness hurdle and pushed me to working this into my day? I stopped stressing about changing in and out of gym clothes and just hopped on my elliptical in my pajamas in the morning. Done. Over with. I can go about my day and not feel guilty about not getting a workout in because I couldn’t find a clean sports bra.

I know this sounds crazy, but when you are racing against the clock of your three year old waking up, every second counts. Not to mention, who the heck cares what I’m wearing when I workout in the privacy of my own home? I’m finally doing it regularly and that’s what counts.

Now I realize many folks find it easier to lay their gym clothes out the night before. Not me. I can barely remember to turn a light off when I leave the room. Getting fitness gear out is just not happening.

Don’t get me wrong, when the weather is nice, I never do cardio indoors. Those days, I force my ass outside. Usually with Charlotte, unless she’s at school. But when it’s rainy, or snowy…you can bet, I’m parked on my elliptical, sweating through my pjs and binge watching something on Netflix.

Here’s to fitness!

You have any fitness confessions? Share them in the comments!

• Reply Sara Seebruch February 2, 2016 at 7:45 am

I go to the Gym after work. It’s ME time. And I need it. As a Mom and Wife, I find I’m better balanced after I work out.

• Reply amybruni February 2, 2016 at 8:07 am

Working out keeps my anxiety in check, so I hear you! 🙂

• Reply Jackie zuscar February 2, 2016 at 7:56 am

Don’t feel bad I never went to the gym because of intimidation but getting sick with diabetes I am destined to not let it take over my life I go to the gym once a week with my sis its our sis day I should do more but I’m still getting used to the diabetes thing

• Reply Shirl Parsons February 2, 2016 at 8:01 am

That is inspiring !

• Reply Kristin February 2, 2016 at 8:29 am

Great idea! With 3 kiddos of my own, I completely understand the need to streamline almost everything. Time is so hard to come by some days 🙂

• Reply Brandi Jones February 2, 2016 at 8:55 am

You aren’t the only one, Amy! I have a room in my house for yoga & meditation. It’s a daily morning routine so I’m usually in PJs or comfy clothes 🙂 A section of my garage is a gym so that’s where I go for weight lifting, plyo, HIIT, etc 3-4x a week. Other than walking our dogs or bicycling with the kids, I never leave my house to exercise LOL!

• Reply amybruni February 2, 2016 at 8:59 am

I wish I had the space for a room like that! You sound awesome! 🙂

• Reply Brandi Jones February 2, 2016 at 9:52 am

After visiting my husband when he worked in a gym throughout college, I knew a public gym wasn’t for me. Strangers sweat, lack of hygiene (ie: cleaning up after themselves), etc, Ugh! Grosses me out 😉 There are nice, smaller, private gyms available at higher rates but like you, with kids (and home schooling) my time is limited. So I get it done in the privacy of my own home before the kids wake up and we get school going 🙂 Easier, more convenient, and just what moms on the go need!

• Reply Becky February 2, 2016 at 9:34 am

Many a mornin’ has seen me having a dance party in my pj’s before work. It’s fun and I gives me extra time!!

• Reply Rachel February 2, 2016 at 9:49 am

I do the same. We have an elliptical in our bedroom and I hop on whenever I have a half hour to myself, usually when my youngest is napping. I’ve also found that wearing my son in a carrier while walking and playing at the park is a good workout, too. Having 30 pounds on your back helps, anyway! Yet another benefit of baby wearing 🙂

• Reply Ghee February 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

I’m completely with you!

• Reply Jennifer Painter February 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

I do the same thing! I hate changing all the time, and I know that if I don’t work out when I first getup, it won’t happen the rest of the day. So, I do it in my jammies!

• Reply Jeanette Thanupakorn February 2, 2016 at 10:15 am

I’ve got a 4 piece gym set up in my basement! Now……just need to use it! ☺️ Today will be the day! Got to get in shape for the Altun Ha ruins!!!! Besides, we’re having a major blizzard here in Iowa today! 🌨❄️💨

• Reply Katy McCarty February 2, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I too barely make it to the gym but I can’t say it is because of my child it is because like you even at 61 the same issues face me, getting dressed and out the door. I do live in a 3 story house and go up and down at least 10x a day on each set of stairs though. I love your blog and I loved watching you on Ghost Hunters. <3 Have a happy spring.

• Reply Sarah Soderlund February 2, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I hate the changing in and out of the clothes – the shoes, socks, heaven forbid I break a sweat and have to peel that too-tight sports bra off my back! Ick.
    So, I too work out in pajamas. 🙂

• Reply Amanda February 2, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I agree with working out in PJs. Why must we do MORE laundry?

As for the revolving gym membership, I’ve totally been there. Since I’ve cancelled mine, I’ve been saving up to make a gym in my home.
    As for a confession: I workout to exercise “games” on my Wii. Yes! I still own one of those and its AWESOME! 🙂

• Reply Jenny February 2, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I was going to say that! Workout gear just equals more laundry! “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” 🙂