General Ghosts Lifestyle The Kiddo Travel

A child well traveled.

January 4, 2016

When Jimmy, (my fella), and I decided we wanted to have a child, I was so ready. I was traveling for Ghost Hunters at the time, but the schedule was not what it once was. The second year I was on GH, I was on the road 300 days of that year. We cranked out over 30 episodes, for two new seasons at the time.

When Charlotte came, I was entering year five with the production and the filming process had become much more streamlined. Plus, in my heart, I knew I was ready to leave the show if my having a child was going to be too much to juggle. Ultimately, it did prove to be so, but I lasted just over a year. Much of that travel was made easier for me because I would just bring Charlotte.

484859_10151311292151316_558578813_n-2

Charlotte and me, exploring the haunted corridors of Hyde Hall in Cooperstown, NY.

I never considered leaving her behind all the time. When ever a new filming location was put on the schedule, my first thought was, “Can I bring Charlotte on this one?”

We started small. I’d bring a nanny and we’d stick to semi local film shoots. That, coupled with a few trips for appearances and to visit family in California, meant Charlotte became well traveled in her first year of life. She also started her adventures meeting her road family, all of my paranormal buddies from various television shows.

555059_10151318574286316_666011212_n-2

Adam Berry, my partner in crime on TV and in life. He’s like a brother to me, so Charlotte calls him Uncle Adam. Here they are on the ferry to Block Island, RI on our way to film.

We drove, we flew, we took a few boats. AdventuringΒ is the norm for my little girl and I think that’s why she has become such a savvy traveler over the years. I also think that’s why I’ve pretty much figured out every trick in the book when it comes to traveling with a kiddo, and one of the biggest reasons I started this blog.

485246_10151332653486316_368877050_n

My elf getting to know Ben Hansen of SyFy’s Fact or Faked, Paranormal Files while visiting the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO.

There have been challenges. As many parents know, kids pick up every germ on the way from here to there. We’ve visited a few urgent care centers on the road. I even once made the tough decision to leave my sick kiddo behind with Daddy and the nanny, while I went away to film.

There have been a few meltdowns. There have been flight delays, traffic jams, lost luggage. But mostly, Charlotte is none the wiser. Travel hiccups are part of travel, and as I teach her that they are inevitable, her patience astounds and outweighs mine.

10614347_10152383579916316_4015748271499294850_n

I fly so often, we are frequently upgraded to First Class. Mommy likes the free cocktails, Charlotte enjoys the extra space. That is the Child Airplane Travel Harness – Cares Safety Restraint System – The Only FAA Approved Child Flying Safety Device she is wearing, for those wondering.

I am often asked, “Why not leave her home with Daddy?” Well, Daddy works two jobs. So leaving her home would mean she would still be with a sitter or in daycare most days. And if it’s a weekend appearance when Dad works nights, we would need a sitter at night too. We decided the advantages of having her with a parent as consistently as possible, plus the experiences of traveling, would outweigh the cons. We stick to a schedule as much as we can on non-travel days. We also limit trips to once or twice a month.

Now, Charlotte is three. We have yet to travel internationally, other than a few cruise stops, but I’m sure that will be here before we know it. In the meantime, please enjoy these tidbits of our journeys. I’ll post some of my favorite tips and tricks, plus some of our more inspiring moments. The ups and downs, the highs and lows, I’ll try not to leave any stones unturned. Not only do I want to impart what we’ve learned over the years to you, but I want to document all of this for her.

Thanks for reading, all. More soon….

xoxo,

~ a

• Reply Christina January 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I love this. So nice to read about you and another mother’s journey with working and having children. The struggles and the joys. Keep on posting I enjoy reading your blog..

• Reply Amy Carravetta January 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

You are such an awesome Mom and person Amy. Charlotte is so lucky to have such great parents. Traveling with little ones is pretty stressful but all the lovely pictures you take of her and you show so much love. Thanks for sharing!!!

• Reply Wendy Young January 29, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Love your new blog. You are blessed with a wonderful mate and a beautiful child.

• Reply Helen January 29, 2016 at 10:33 pm

It will be so nice to have a place to read about your various activities more in depth. Plus, I think people have to make a conscious effort to follow your blog, rather than your posts popping up in their Facebook feeds and feeling that they can just post anything for the hell of it and not really worrying about how their posts come across. I have been fortunate enough to spend time with you on the cruise and I am so looking forward to the upcoming event at The Stanley. I hope to see Charlotte again, also. She is an amazing child.

• Reply Jannie Varkevisser January 29, 2016 at 11:05 pm

i like it

• Reply Dean Hiatt January 29, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Congrats on finding the outlet you’ve been looking for. Keep at it!

• Reply Amanda Staton January 29, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Your family is so adorable! You are amazing and so is your writing! Looking forward to more! Keep up the amazing work! πŸ™‚

• Reply Sandra January 30, 2016 at 12:03 am

Amy, it has been amazing watching how you have evolved since ghost hunter’s first came to tv.you are a talented and multi faceted young woman. I love you take charlotte so many places. And what so many may find strange with spirits and paranormal research. ..charlotte will see as part of her everday norm..as she grows..and gives you a special bond. Look forward to reading your blog

• Reply amybruni January 30, 2016 at 12:52 am

Thank you so much! I especially love that you called me young! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Reanna January 30, 2016 at 1:16 am

Love it! How fun and awesome that you are doing this πŸ™‚ I love seeing where you are now and how much your life has changed since we first met. You’re the bomb πŸ˜‰

• Reply Carl January 30, 2016 at 1:25 am

So cool , your an awesome mom, and we’ve loved watching you over the years. You do great. Never let any one make you feel otherwise!!!

• Reply Lauren January 30, 2016 at 2:29 am

So excited that you’ve started this blog! Looking forward to reading about your adventures. πŸ™‚
    It’s funny, before I had my son (1.5), I thought my traveling days were over. And then I realized that life shouldn’t stop just because I had a kid! Exposing them to new experiences is so incredible, plus seeing things through their eyes just brings so much joy.
    Can’t wait to read more!

• Reply Kelly January 30, 2016 at 2:43 am

What a fun blog! I’ve enjoyed watching you and Charlotte travel for these past 3 years and I have to say you’ve been very generous in sharing your little girl with all of us. It’s been delightful to watch Charlotte grow! This will be a great mommy blog for those who are traveling with little ones or just have little ones!

Happy (and safe!) Travels!

• Reply Rebecca January 30, 2016 at 7:58 pm

That is so inspirational. My dad used to travel alot as an FFA advisor and he took my sister and I everywhere with him. He would even take us out of school to go on a trip. He felt that the world had so much to offer as a supplement to our formal education. He was right! Now I travel with my own monkeys all the time. They have their own frequent flyer accounts! They are only 8 and they gave been to 26 states. I wouldn’t have it any other way! Good for you momma!

• Reply Val January 30, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Love your dectication to your world your child and your Spirit world.. its been great watching her grow up πŸ™‚ She is going to be such an Educated young Lady <3